The Alan Paine brand was established in the historic market town of Godalming in Surrey, England in 1907. Wool and knitting industries were important sources of income in the area over a number of centuries. Evidence of this survives in the town’s emblem,- a woolsack – which is still in official use today and was included in the Alan Paine crest through the years.
GROWTH OF THE WORKFORCE
By 1940, Paines had gained such an unrivalled reputation for the quality of its workmanship that the company was commissioned to make woollen sweaters for Britain’s armed forces, particularly the Navy. By 1942, the Alan Paine workforce had grown to 400 staff members in Godalming and 200 in Wales.
in 1970 the company was further honoured with its second Queen’s Award for Outstanding Export Achievement. In 1973 Paine’s was asked by the Worshipful Company of Woolmen to knit two vicuna sweaters as a wedding present for Princess Anne and Captain Mark Philips.